Due to improvements in materials and construction practices, the average life-span of your home is now right around 35 years. Because of this, many of the older homes in and around our communities were actually built before most of the appliances and other electronic devices that we use daily even existed. Because we have steadily increased the amount of electricity that we use on a day-to-day basis, many of these older homes are just not quite equipped to handle this larger electrical demand. When this is the case, it is important to talk with an electrician in Beverly Hills about whether or not it is time to perform an electrical upgrade.
The following items are signs that you may need an electrical system upgrade:
- You do not have GFCI outlets in kitchens, bathrooms, garages and other areas that have frequent moisture.
- Your lights flicker in some rooms.
- Your breakers trip constantly.
- You still have a fusebox (and your fuses blow often)
- You hear crackling noises coming from your electrical panel.
- You need more electrical outlets
- You’ve recently added a new large appliance, such as a sauna or hot tub
- Your homeowner’s insurance has required you to make an upgrade
- You use multiple extension cords to provide power to devices
- You need a 240v circuit
- Appliances appear to run on less than full panel
- You need a whole house surge protector
- You have two-pronged plugs
- Your electrical service conductors are overheating
If you are experiencing one or more of the above items, then it could be a warning sign that you need to upgrade or replace your electrical panel. If you are concerned about your electrical system, or have any questions about electrical panel upgrades, give us a call at H Electric. You can also find much more information about this and other electrical topics at www.electricianbeverlyhills.net.